Cimbiote did not go anywhere in the past 2 years and a half, so I dusted it off and started to play with it. As it turns out, major pieces were missing: the ability to create references, support for associations etc.
When trying to add reference support, I found out from the sblim mailing list that there is still hope in the world. Today I finished packaging cmpi-bindings=contrib.rpath.org@rpl:2 and wrote a simple plugin that does not do much, but was enough to prove far superior to cimbiote.
 You, in the back row, stop chuckling. We all know that standards are wonderful things, as Tigger would say.